Yi Ren Qigong (YRQ) is the practice of cultivating the inherent potential and well-being through a growing awareness of “Qi”-a bioenergy-information system (BEIS) within us, as well as surrounding us. In Chinese, the character “Yi”（易）means change, the upper part symbolizes the sun and lower part symbolizes the moon. Through the dynamic interactions of Yin and Yang, the character “Yi” graphically suggests the Dao (道, Tao) of change, the laws of different energy interactions in the natural world. The character “Ren”（人） means human. With YRQ studies and practice, practitioners become increasingly aware of energy flow and interactions in the physical body, and in the living environment, and start to live in accord with the Dao, the laws in the nature.
…Guan-Cheng Sun Ph.D.
- Yi Ren® Qigong consists of exercises, meditations and breathing techniques all done with heightened self-awareness.
- Many forms of Qigong offered in the public and in the scientific Qigong research setting are designed for the purpose of maintaining general health, but do not include specific connections between practice and specific health conditions. These various styles of Qigong may differ in form, body movement, breathing, and meditation, but are not authentic Qi-energy centered internal cultivation practice. In addition, the training courses of many Qigong programs tend to focus on intellectual knowledge from a textbook and from traditional techniques/methods but may lack the systematic internal Qi-energy activation, cultivation, development, refinement and management.
- Yi Ren Qigong, on the other hand, is based not only on ancient Daoist teachings and practices, but in addition, Yi Ren Qigong practices are authentic Qi-energy based. They naturally enable systematic internal Qi-energy activation. Yi Ren Qigong classes and seminars are designed to enable conscious (intellectual) understanding as well as experiential, authentic Qi-energy activation, cultivation, development, refinement and management.
- Yi Ren Qigong classes and seminars practices are further enhanced with the integration of current Western Science understanding of genetics and epigenetics.
Dr. Guan-Cheng Sun, PhD, is both the creator of Yi Ren Qigong and the founder and executive director of the Institute of Qigong & Integrative Medicine. He is also a research scientist and adjunct faculty member at Bastyr University in Kenmore, WA. Dr. Sun earned his PhD in molecular genetics from the Graduate University for Advanced Studies in Japan in 1993.
Yi-Ren Qigong logo featuring Yin, Yang and genetic double helix symbolism.
The foundational practices of Yi Ren qigong are the levels 1, 2, and 3. These foundational practices are typically presented/offered in two parts:
- Level-1, part-1
- Level-1, part-2
- Level-2, part-1 and part-2
- Level-3, part-1 and part-2
For each level, the parts 1&2 may be offered ether together as one class series or separate as two individual class series’.
Details of these classes (from the IQ&IM website) are as follows:
Yi Ren Qigong Level I : The Foundation
~ Beginners Welcome ~ This course teaches the foundational exercises for internal Qi-energy activation, cultivation, grounding and circulation. The purpose of these exercises is to activate and stabilize the energy field, increase internal energy levels and develop the body’s internal energetic communication system.
In part 1, we will learn the internal energy activation exercises, which involve activating the “lifegate” or battery pack of our energy system. This is followed by cultivating our energy centers, activating our marrow and brain gates, and grounding our internal energy.
Then in part 2, we will learn how to ground our internal energy, which involves connecting with our autonomic nervous system (ANS). The ANS is the body’s control system, enabling and empowering us to balance and harmonize our internal organ functions. Then, circulation of the Du and Ren meridians through the Small Universe exercise activates our information management system. Practicing the Small Universe circulation is key to developing our information management system. This is preparation for Level II, where we activate and circulate energy through the 12 internal organ meridians.
These Qi-energy based exercises will increase vitality and creativity, enhance immunity and self-healing, and improve the quality of practitioners’ lives.
Yi Ren Qigong Level-II: Activating & Cultivating the Internal Organ Meridians
Prerequisite: Completion of Level I class or seminar
This course introduces methods for developing the Zang Fu, or internal organ-related meridians. We begin to open and develop the internal energy pathways to energize the internal organs. These 12 internal organ pathways form the bridge between the mind and the memories, emotions, intrinsic intelligence and consciousness of the internal organs. These pathways function as an internal energy and intelligence network, both for the internal organ communication and the organs and the living environment. Qi or vital energy is the key for the mind-body connection.
The purpose of energizing the Zang Fu is to empower individuals to experience the functions of the internal organs at different levels through specific internal organ meridian energizing, cultivating and balancing exercises. This course will provide specific information on organ-related character, including each organ’s responsibilities, emotions and virtues. With this information, and coherence between practice and experience, practitioners will learn how thoughts, state of mind, emotional habits and behavior have a direct connection to their health and quality of life.
Yi Ren Qigong Level-III: Energizing the Extraordinary Meridians
Pre-requisite: Completion of Yi Ren Qigong Level II class or seminar
This course introduces methods for developing the awareness of the internal energy flow through the extraordinary meridians. The extraordinary meridians are associated with the body’s controlling systems: the brain, nervous and endocrine. By cultivating the Qi and energizing the extraordinary pathways, practitioners have greater opportunities to upgrade the functions of the brain, nervous and endocrine systems.
This process will naturally guide practitioners from Level II and the energetic cultivation of the internal organs to a stage of internal cultivation with external interactions and communications. The training in this course will also provide an opportunity for experiential understanding of personal and professional boundaries and skills to improve overall health and quality of life.